After School Sports
The Oak Knoll Elementary School PTO is proud to offer an exciting sports program for our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade otters.
Girls volleyball is available for 4th and 5th graders in the early fall (mid September through mid November), and girls and boys basketball is available for for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders in the winter (mid November through early March).
Practices are held at the Oak Knoll campus, and games are played weekly at the Arrillaga Family Gymnasium at Burgess against teams from other local schools.
Please check the sport-specific pages for more information. Registration updates will be announced on KNOL and in the Otter Weekly newsletter as we get closer to the start of each season.
We Need Volunteers!
Our otters need coaches! No experience necessary; volunteers will be provided with materials and guidance for managing practices and games. Please review the program goals below to see if your interested in volunteering, please email Ward Bullard with any questions.
*This information is current as of September 27, 2023
- Fun: Our success should not be measured solely by wins and losses, but rather by the enjoyment of players, coaches and parents.
- Positive and supportive introduction to organized sports: Our parent coaches are the single most important factor in shaping that experience.
- New friendships: It’s fantastic when our otters form positive relationships with teammates who may be outside their circle of friends.
- Oak Knoll Community Spirit: We want our teams to support one another, rooting for one another at games and other community building activities. We encourage grade level “Jamborees”. We encourage our coaches to support each other, share best practices, and see themselves as a “grade-level” team.
- The value of hard work and playing hard
- The fundamental skills of the sport
- The responsibilities of being on a team: coming to practices, cheering on teammates, sharing playing time
- Good sportsmanship and respect for teammates, coaches, referees, and opponents
"No Trophy" Policy
The Oak Knoll Volleyball and Basketball teams play in the Menlo Park Recreation (Burgess) League competing against other area schools. Starting at the fifth grade level for basketball teams, Burgess has playoff competitions and provides t-shirts to the winning teams. At the lower grades (3rd & 4th grades) for basketball and for 4th/5th grade volleyball, there are no playoffs.
The After School Sports program will not give trophies for participating in the program. Likewise, the coaches are not permitted to give trophies. We want consistency among the teams and it would be unfair for some teams to give trophies simply for participating. From a developmental perspective, we want to help the students learn that they may play their best and try their hardest, and their coaches may recognize their efforts, but they will not receive an award for simply participating.